Monday, August 1, 2011

"If I Were a Rich Man"

Such a good song.

I was recently speaking to some family friends about this song, and was informed that the original actor who played Tevye insisted on adding the third verse of the lyrics which go as follows:


If I were rich, I'd have the time that I lack
To sit in the synagogue and pray.

And maybe have a seat by the Eastern wall.
And I'd discuss the holy books with the learned men, 
several hours every day.
That would be the sweetest thing of all.

       Apparently he felt it was important to emphasize this aspect as the most important desire of an impoverished Jewish man's longing for wealth. He felt it so strongly, I'm told, that he refused to sing the song unless it was included.

We often conjecture what we would do with a million dollars: pay off bills, go on an expensive vacation, buy a nicer car... but have you focused that desire for wealth down to it's most basic point? What do you truly desire to gain from more wealth? Once you know that, you might be surprised to find that what you seek is actually already attainable with what you already have.

(Unless you NEED to be the next Bill Gates... that may be more difficult.)

No comments:

Post a Comment